"Children are like wet cement. Whatever falls on them makes an impression."
-Dr. Hiam Ginnot
"Love You Forever" By Robert Munsch


This story touches the hearts of young and old. A story of a parents love and how it crosses generations.







Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Final Post


Time Well Spent

One deeply felt learning experience in this program was in Week 5 when we were
reviewing leadership styles. I did not know of all the different learning styles. I did learn that I am a mixture of multiple leadership styles - people-oriented, servant and transformational. What I will need to work on is combining all three styles to provide a quality program and Community of  Practice team to advocate for early childhood. The second is taking a step back and truly looking at the problem that I want to fix within the early childhood program. The educational impact and healthy issue that could arise from eliminating free-play in the daily routines of young children has hit home with my 7 year old niece. The problem is not only professional,
but personal. The third deeply felt thing from this course is the interaction with colleagues and learning about each individual's passion and challenge.


A long term goal would be to continue to advocate and fright for a FAPE for
all children. To continue to keep free-play into the learning environment
in our early childhood programs to help our children develop in a healthy
manner.


To all my colleagues in this course and Dr. Teri


Thank you for your advice and input with my challenge during this course.
Your information has been very beneficial in the continued effort to make
learning fun for children. When children have fun learning the information
learned will stay with them longer. Thank you all and I look forward to
blogging. Have a wonderful summer!

6 comments:

  1. Wanda,
    I do not know if we shared any other classes together at Walden, and yet, I feel so lucky that we met this year. Your support and comments helped me to continue up my mountain, finally reaching the top. I have learned so much through your discussions, which pushed me to think further than I had anticipated. I thank you for that. I certainly hope we keep in touch; we share much of the same passion and can continue to grow from each other. Good luck in this next stage in your life; celebrate this major accomplishment. I hope to see you in Orlando for graduation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanda,
    Your passion for play in education means a lot to me as a kindergarten teacher. I continue to allow lots of play experiences in my classroom, from freeplay time to center play and recess. Our state is pushing Common Core, with more time dedicated to academics and eliminating play. This is SO detrimental to young children. I am grateful to teach in a private school where play is valued and allowed. Continue to fight for this as it is crucial to the healthy development of young children!
    Good luck as you begin your next chapter!
    Stacy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Wanda,

    Thank you for sharing your passion of bringing more play to early education! I am a strong believer in the power of play :)


    Thank you for everything you contributed to this experience, your great comments to our discussions and your collaboration.

    Best of luck in the future endeavors!

    -Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wanda!!!!


    It was a pleasure walking this journey with you. I definitely see where you are coming from as far as the different types of leadership styles. I learned a lot about them myself; and I will make sure to implement what I learned as I progress in the early childhood field. I have shared my contact information on my blog. Feel free to take a gander! But we are going to talking in the near future. Keep up the good work! God bless...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Wanda,

    Thank you for bringing up and reminded us all the importance of play. Play is very important as it allows the child to explore, experiment and solve problems naturally. It is very important for all to understand children learn a lot through play, they are not only being creative and solving problems, but learning how to share with others and socialize and build a wonderful connection amongst friends. During play they relate to their peers positively and resolve conflicts peacefully, most of the time. :)
    The children have the opportunity to pursue their interests and learn different skills and concept. They are motivated to learn in a fun and exciting way.

    Than you for all your post and contribution. I wish you much success!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Wanda,

    I like how you brought up play with your seven year old niece. Children need to be able to move more and explore. When we studied leadership, I also realized I have different styles of leadership which I have to balance in order to be an effective leader. Good fortune in all you do! Congratulations, we did it!

    ReplyDelete