"Children are like wet cement. Whatever falls on them makes an impression."
-Dr. Hiam Ginnot
"Love You Forever" By Robert Munsch


This story touches the hearts of young and old. A story of a parents love and how it crosses generations.







Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Welcoming Families from Around the World

*       The country of the family’s origin is Italy.

The ways that I would prepare myself to be culturally responsive towards this family would first be through research of the country; 2) with affiliation to the military I would check family services to see what we could offer a family that is moving to this area with different ethnical backgrounds; 3) make a list of questions to ask the family that I feel would beneficial to me from the research conducted on Italy; 4) ask the staff if there is anyone who has ever lived or has relatives from Italy; 5) set my classroom up with some items from Italy that would make the family feel welcome on the first visit; 6) ask the family if the items I’ve placed in the class are appropriate or could they assist me in making the necessary corrections.

I believe that these preparations will assist me in eliminating some of my own biases or fears of the unknown when the family arrives.  Also this will I hope make the family feel a little more comfortable and empowered when they walk into my classroom.  I want all of my families and children to know that this is their classroom.  For parents to feel comfortable knowing that they have a voice in what we do and the creation of the education for their children.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Wanda
    Asking the family to help you make corrections is a powerful suggestion because it gives the family to manipulate the environment and this implies that you trust them and welcome them enough to allow them to work in your space. This is a perfect example of how we can truly give a family a voice in what happens in their child's environment - by giving them the ability to act on it.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also chose Italy. In comparison to your list I chose similar actions but I also felt going to an uthentic Italian resteraunt would give me wonderful insight on the culture and practices. I have a parent whose mom is Italian and she came to speak with us Tuesday on how her family celebrates the holidays and I just thought it was so interesting. I must say great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete